High reliability RF components are an integral part of the Defense and Aerospace industry. The safety of armed forces personnel and the public they serve are dependent upon electronic equipment being able to withstand the challenging environment of today’s battlefield, be it land, sea, air or space.
RFMW, Ltd. offers a wide range of military-qualified RF, microwave and interconnect products (QPL listed; MIL-PRF; MIL-STD). We offer program management and procurement logistics support. Many of our commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) products can be made available with the additional screening, special handling, or quality assurance testing required for Defense and Aerospace applications. Hermetic packaging options, extended temperature ranges, military standard (MIL-STD) reliability testing, screening for “rad-hard” (radiation-hardened) capabilities, and other engineering support/services make our COTS components and board-level products ideal for this demanding market.
RFMW value-added capabilities increase product yields, reduce labor content, reduce scrap/rework and tuning, reduce field returns, and reduce lead-times by providing one-stop shopping for RF and Microwave value-added services. RFMW offers a complete range of services for commercial, military, and space requirements, including the following:
Key suppliers with parts designed, manufactured, and tested to military standards include TriQuint Semiconductor, Carlisle Interconnect Technologies, Radiall-AEP, Skyworks, Inc., Amplifier Solutions, Aeroflex-Metelics, EMC/Florida RF Labs, MwT Inc., RFMD, Mitsubishi, P1dB and others.
Quality is a priority at RFMW whether it’s product or process related. Our Quality Management System and documented processes are clearly stated and available for customer review and audit.
Value Added Services make RFMW a cut above the typical distributor. We understand your need for on-time delivery and value because we face the same issues on a daily basis. Our focus on RF devices and technology enables us to meet your expectations with the highest service levels.
Hi- Rel Screening
RFMW supplier’s MIL-STD-750 and MIL-STD-833 Environmental Labs support Hi-Rel programs. The following details the types of products RFMW can support and the capabilities we can bring to bear to keep your projects on time and under budget.
- DIE (transistors, diodes and MMIC element evaluation)
- DIE Transistors
- Packaged Transistors and MMICs
- Hybrid Amplifiers
- Hybrid VCO’s
- Diodes; Axial, Beam-Lead
- Switches (PIN Diodes, MMIC DIE)
- Power Dividers and Combiners
- Filters (lumped element, distributed, crystal)
- Custom packaged devices (see below)
- Frequency Dividers (Pre Scalars)
- Frequency Mixers
- Voltage Controlled Attenuators, Detectors
- Internal Visual (assemblies, assembled components)
- Stabilization Bake
- Temperature Cycle
- Constant Acceleration
- PIND (Particle Impact Noise Detection)
- HTRB (High Temperature Reverse Bias)
- Burn-In / Life Test
- Electrical Parameter Testing (DC and RF to 40 GHz)
- Seal (Fine/Gross)
- External Visual
- Bond Pull/DIE Shear
- Lead / Integrity Testing
- SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)
RFMW offers customers dedicated program management and project engineering for the program’s duration. This ability is particularly useful for Class K jobs requiring special documentation, source inspections, design reviews, and project scheduling. A cross-functional team, staffed by people from engineering, quality assurance, manufacturing, materials, and document control, assists the project leader until the customer is completely satisfied with the product and service.
Material Procurement and Logistics
RFMW’s ERP platform combined with product and materials management governs all procurement activity. All procurement activities use lot traceability, inventory aging, and specification control as primary objectives. RFMW works with customers to aid the planning and control of on-time and just-in-time deliverables that aid the entire production flow for both large and small production runs. RFMW’s materials staff works closely with product management and sales personnel to support customer delivery inquiries and status updates. Complete and timely production information is a quick phone call or e-mail away.
Product Environmental Screening (Inspection, Mechanical, Thermal, and Rest)
Quality and screening tests are performed on each individual wafer for high-reliability products. All quality and reliability testing methods are based on appropriate military standards, such as MIL-STD-750, MIL-STD-883 and MIL-PRF-38534. Customized screening flows can be provided to accommodate your needs, including MIL-PRF-38534, Class H or Class K with full element evaluation and Group testing. Call or e-mail RFMW’s sales department or local sales representative for more information on these options.
Quality Management System
Our Quality Management System meets the certification requirements of ISO 9001. RFMW has complete in-house documentation for each of its functional areas; including sales, operation logistics, procurement, document control, process controls and quality assurance validation of process conformance. Internal audits of the Quality Management System are continuously performed to hone processes.
RFMW serves its customers with both commercial grade product and product compliant to MIL-PRF-38534, Military - Class H and Space -Class K Grade.
Quality Policy, Mission Statement and Objectives
Quality Policy Statement
RFMW’s Quality Policy of the Quality Management System is as follows.
Compliance to Regulations, Classifications and Required Documentation
- To maintain an effective Quality Assurance System complying with ISO 9001 International Standard (Quality Systems).
- To achieve and maintain a level of quality which enhances the Company’s reputation with our partners (customers, suppliers, and representatives).
- To ensure compliance with relevant statutory and safety requirements.
- To endeavor, at all times, to maximize customer satisfaction with the services provided by RFMW, Ltd.
- We will do the above through a strategy and process of continuous improvement, and through a never-ending effort to expose and eliminate root causes of problems. RFMW Ltd. will offer better quality, better accuracy, and better availability of product, all of which will be more attractive to customers.
In order to supply components (including “dual-use items”) and sub-systems to the defense industry, certain licensing and documentation may be required. RFMW, Ltd. is committed to comply fully with all laws and regulations governing the export of its products, services and technical data. To that end, all goods moved across national borders are handled in accordance with the applicable laws of the exporting and importing countries.
The export or re-export of RFMW, Ltd. products, and the transfer of any related technologies, is subject to export laws and regulations globally, but primarily the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) of the United States. RFMW, Ltd. is an ITAR-registered supplier.
You can find more information about these laws and regulations at the following websites:
Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
View additional information about ITAR
View additional information about EAR
Standard Hybrid Assembly
RFMW providers offer experienced and quality-focused production staff and extensive hybrid clean-room assembly facilities thus enabling world-class manufacturing service for thin film, SMT, and subassembly production. Using fully characterized, qualified and documented assembly procedures, RFMW providers support requirements from low volume / high-mix, through high volume / single-mix. Whether you need an assembly source for full assembly turnkey, or a single hybrid or board, RFMW provides production capacity and highly trained production staff to reduce costs and lead-time, as well as increase your overall quality and reliability.
Thin Film Hybrid Assembly
- Ultrasonic Cleaning
- Desktop Substrate Reflow
- Eutectic DIE Attach
- Plasma Clean
- Automatic Ball and Wedge Bonding
- Manual Wedge, Ball and Ribbon Bonding
- Gap Welding
- DC Tuning
- Hermetic Sealing
- Package Labeling/Marking
- Hakko Manual Soldering Stations
- Ultrasonic Solvent Pre-Cleaning
- J-STD-001 Capability
- Expansion to Desktop 5 Zone Reflow System
- Expansion to Mini Screen Printing System
As a full service distributor, RFMW offers kitting services for your hybrid assembly manufacturing. DIE devices require special handling and environments to ensure long term reliability and high yields. RFMW has the infrastructure to support your needs - from kitting through assembly.
- Part Storage
- Stage Kits for Assembly
- Release full kits per your manufacturing schedule
RFMW offers full DIE handling services including quick, reliable and cost-effective sorting of DIE. RFMW's DIE services help you maintain a consistent flow of DIE to your manufacturing environment in volumes and at the quality level appropriate to your needs while increasing the reliability and manufacturability of COT parts. RFMW provides qualified DIE through 100% visual inspection and Lot Acceptance Testing for space and military level applications.
Microcircuit and Semiconductor DIE Evaluation
- DIE Storage, Packaging, Sorting and Testing
- Store Wafers (Dry Nitrogen Desiccators)
- Store gel or waffle packs
- Capacitors, Diodes (chip and beam lead), Transistors, MMICs
- Re-plating of DIE Package in Waffle or Gel Packs
- Automated pick-and-place and manual transfer
- DIE Visual
- DC probe of RF Wafers or Discrete DIE
- Commercial Level
- Military Level and S-Class to MIL-PRF-19500, MIL-STD-750, MIL-STD-883, MIL- PRF- 38534, MIL-PRF-38535
Examples of full Microcircuit and Semiconductor DIE evaluation per MIL-PRF-38534 are shown below. RFMW providers support other industry standard and custom screening and evaluation sequences, including diode screening from MIL-DLT-28837.
Electrical Test Capabilities
|Wire Bond Evaluation
|Attribute Data / Certificate of Conformance
||Post Burn-in Electrical
||Steady State Life
||Wire Bond Evaluation
||Attribute Data / Certificate of Conformance
Full DC, RF and microwave test capabilities make your choice easy for element, hybrid, component, and subassembly testing requirements. Using fully documented and controlled test procedures, RFMW quickly provides go/no-go or complete RF test results from ambient to full military/space temperature extremes. You can specify the testing parameters, temperatures and data format. Quick, accurate, reliable results; we’re your first and best choice for testing requirements.
RF Power Test, Selection and Sort
(80 MHz to 2800 MHz)
DC Test, MMIC and Transistors
- CW to 200 Watts
- Single, Multiple or Burst Pulse Formats
- Example Test Parameters: Pout, Power Gain, PAE
- Custom Test Capability: High Frequency, IP3,
- Load Pull, Mismatch VSWR
RF Test, MMIC and Transistors
- FET: IDSS, VP, GM, Breakdown Voltage, IGSS
- MMIC: IDD
- BiPolar: ICBO, IEBO, HFE, BVCEO,
- BVCBO, BVEBO
(100 kHz to 40 GHz)
Technical Support Capabilities
- Small Signal Gain, P1dB, Psat, VSWR, Reverse Isolation
- Noise Figure, IP3, Harmonic
- Phase Noise
- Phase and Amplitude Matching
- Over Temperature
- S-Parameter Testing
- Qualification reports for new products
- Lot Code & Date Code Traceability as required
- Advanced design and applications engineering. RFMW, Ltd. works closely with wafer fabrication houses (such as TriQuint Semiconductor, Peregrine Semiconductor, etc.)
- Demonstration circuits with samples; read/record data for customer correlation and qualification.
- Customized test fixtures
- Customized testing of standard RF product to fit a specific customer requirement
- Models, data sheets, S-Parameters, Gerber files, and mechanical outlines
- Application Block Diagrams
Element evaluation verifies procured materials can adequately perform as required by the application. RFMW conducts element evaluation on RF semiconductor DIE in full conformance with Classes H and K of MIL-PRF-38534, satisfying all requirements of military and space applications. Additionally, RFMW supports custom screening flows for many element types, including screening of beam lead diodes. Examples of fully compliant MIL-PRF-38534 element screening flows are shown in the following chart.
|Microcircuit and Semiconductor DIE Evaluation
|Passive Element Evaluation
MIL-PRF-38534 qualified sealing procedures assure highest quality, consistency, and hermaticity. Thoroughly controlled and continuously monitored sealing environments assure meeting the most stringent sealing requirements, including space and military levels.
Custom Product Development
- SSEC Seam Sealer
- Polaris Welder
- DAP Solder Sealer
- Multiple Mechanical Configurations
- TO-style Packages
- Rectangular Packages
- Pre-seal Nitrogen-environment Bake
- Sample of 100% Fine and Gross Leak Test
- Pre-seal PIND Clean
- PIND Testing
- Package Labeling
By bringing together diverse capabilities from multiple suppliers and sources, RFMW can create custom products to fit your ever-changing RF device needs including:
Material Related Services
- DIE Attach
- Wire Bonding
- Assemble DIE in ceramic packages
- Hermetic packaging
- Recreate “obsolete” configurations
- Build unique chip/package
- Provide Material traceability
- Dedicated program management
- Device Related Services
- RF Test to 40 GHz
- Sorting/binning per performance of DIE
- Power Tests (200 watt CW drive to 2.8 GHz)
- Assemble transistor and MMIC DIE in standard or custom packaging
- Environmental Screening
- Element Evaluation
Documentation Related Services
- Tape and Reel
- Lead Trim and Form
- Solder Tinning (leads and package-bottoms)
- Color marking / Dotting
Types of U.S. Military Standards
- Acceptance Test Programs Procedures
- Qualification Test Procedures and Plans
- Lot Travelers and Operation Sheets
- Inspection Instructions and Plans
- Process Procedures
MIL-HDBK: Handbook containing guidance and information on materials, design, and processes.
MIL-SPEC: Specification of technical requirements for purchased material or products.
MIL-STD: Standard for processes and procedures.
MIL-PRF: Performance specification that states required results without dictating the methods to achieve them.
MIL-DTL: Detail specification on how a requirement is to be achieved.
Download Applicable Defense Standards for RF Components and Circuits
: Sampling Procedures and Tables for Life and Reliability Testing (Based on Exponential Distribution)
: Reliability prediction of electronic equipment
: Environmental Stress Screening of Electronic Equipment - Rev A
: Standard requirements for electronic equipment
: Sampling Procedures and Tables for Inspection by Attributes
: Test methods for electronic and electrical component parts
: Control of EMI characteristics
:Test Methods for Semiconductor Devices
: Reliability Testing for Engineering Development, Qualification and Production - Rev D
: Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
: Test Methods for Microcircuits
: Standard Practice for Military Packaging
: Performance specification for semiconductor devices
: General specification for hybrid microcircuits
: Performance specification for coaxial connectors
: Detailed specification for terminations (electrical, coaxial, stripline)
: Detailed specification for attenuators, fixed
IPC/EIA J-STD-001: Standard requirements for soldering
Copies of many additional standards are available at http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Programs/MilSpec/
QPL – Qualified Parts Lists
: List of Qualified Parts Meeting MIL-PRF-39012